Thursday, October 25, 2012

October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month

As the month comes to a close I realize that I have not said much about Down Syndrome Awareness Month and thought it would be good to share some sites that give more insight and perspective as a way to do my part and help increase awareness.  As I have shared before, both my husband and I were nervous and scared to death when we first learned of Lucas' diagnosis but it was because we didn't know any better and needed to become educated on Ds to be the best possible parents we could be. 

While we are learning daily and no where near receiving any awards for our parenting skills we are filled beyond belief with love, compassion and pride because Lucas has brought so many amazing things to our life and to all those that get to meet our little man.  We have always looked at Lucas as the beautiful baby boy that he is first and his diagnosis secondary.  It will always be this way.  While we know there will continue to be uphill battles and much hard work in our future we make sure to provide the support and love that will be needed for this journey and embrace all the gifts he has brought into our lives which are so enriching and invaluable. He has shown us the beauty of life in everything he does and what can I say about that infectious smile??  It just melts my heart and makes me so darn proud to be his mommy!!

Lastly, a BIG hug and shout out to all those rockin' an extra chromosome! 



10 Things I Learned About Down Syndrome

Moms Share Most Maddening Myths

Myths and Truths

The little guy giving me that look....

No comments:

Post a Comment